Know Someone in Jail? Here’s How to Post Bail

If you recently learned of a loved one’s arrest, your head is likely spinning. One of the first questions that probably crossed your mind was, “How do I post bail?” Because there is more than one way to post bail for someone in jail, it can be confusing to determine which bail option best meets your needs. Below, the experts at A Way Out Bail Bonds explain the different avenues you can take to post bail.

Post Cash Bail

If you have the funds to bail someone out of jail by yourself, you can post cash bail at the courthouse or jail. But keep in mind that if the defendant fails to appear in court as instructed, this is considered bail forfeiture. Should this situation occur, you’ll lose any money you supplied to bail the defendant out of jail. Unless you’re confident the defendant will comply with court orders, it’ll behoove you to exercise caution when considering cash bail.

It’s also important to note that, depending on the severity and nature of the alleged crime, the judge may set the defendant’s bail extremely high. In such cases, furnishing the total bail amount in cash may be wholly impractical or even impossible for most people. This is when the services of a licensed bail bond agent are typically necessary. 

Post a Surety Bond

If you don’t have the funds to bail someone out of jail on your own, you can secure a surety bond from a licensed bail bond agent. With a surety bond, you pay a small amount of money (compared to the total bail amount) to the bail bond agent. The agent then agrees to supply the necessary funds to bail the defendant out of jail. This is possible because bail bond agents are backed by insurers, from whom they secure the bond. 

Rather than paying the full bail amount in cash, you purchase a surety bond by furnishing a nonrefundable premium, which also serves as the bail agent’s service fee. In the state of Texas, that fee amounts to 10% of the total amount of the defendant’s bail. For example, if the court sets bond at $5,000, you’ll pay the bail bond agent $500 to secure a surety bond. You may also be required to supply some form of collateral to back the bail bond, depending on the total bail amount.

Once you sign the paperwork and supply the required fee, the bond agent will then proceed to post bail for the defendant. If the defendant fails to appear in court as ordered (bond forfeiture), you’ll lose any collateral you supplied to secure the surety bond. The bond agent will also take measures to locate the defendant and return that person to police custody to avoid paying the court the full bail amount. 

Supply a Property Bond

It’s possible to use your property as collateral to bail someone out of jail. Rather than supplying money to secure the defendant’s release, you’ll need to provide the deed to property you own, assuming its worth that meets or exceeds the total bail amount. You can also supply other forms of property — high-value watches, jewelry, vehicles, electronics, etc. — that meet or exceed the total bail amount. 

This deed serves as collateral, or security, in the event that the defendant fails to appear in court as instructed. It’s important to note that if you supply a property bond and the defendant does not show up in court, your bond becomes forfeit. Ultimately, you could lose your property, so bear that in mind should you consider furnishing this type of bond. 

Need a Bail Bond in Dallas or Tarrant County?

If you need assistance securing a bail bond, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team at A Way Out Bail Bonds. Our experienced team is at your service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We proudly serve the entire DFW metro, and our top priority is to get your loved one out of jail as quickly as possible. To get started, contact us online or call one of our offices today at (214) 760-9978 in Dallas County or (817) 261-2828 in Tarrant County.

Need to Bond Someone Out of Jail?

Dallas County
Fort Worth